ALM Education: For Those Who Need To Sweat The Details
Jun 15-18, 2021
Our ALM Education: For Those Who Need to Sweat The Details course will be a combination of virtual and in-person (limited) attendees. This synchronous learning environment has proven to be successful for engaging discussion and interactive learning for all attendees.
Finance teams have a unique challenge in that their institutions rely on them to deeply understand the ins and outs of ALM.
Day 1: Setting the Foundation
Day one in classroom style is designed to provide a basic understanding of ALM methodologies and assumptions while providing useful ways to communicate how the numbers connect to your institution’s strategy.
We will address simple concepts of:
- What risks you would want to measure and how to evaluate those risks
- NEV, Static Balance Sheet, Long-Term Risks to Earnings and Net Worth: Understanding the results and how to use them
- What assumptions are needed for different methodologies
- Understanding profitability by asset category
- Introduction of Napkin Math to evaluate the reasonableness of answers
Days 2-4: Methodologies, Assumptions, and Messaging
Days two through four are designed to break down and simplify the complex web of methodologies and assumptions using real-world scenarios and modeling what-ifs. This interactive format allows for learning practical ways to communicate how the numbers connect to strategy.
We will address questions we often hear, such as:
- What does each common ALM modeling methodology tell us – or not tell us?
- What are the top 10 observations from model validations?
- What are proven practices for creating reasonable modeling assumptions and identifying key issues in our model setup?
- What are advanced approaches for creating strategies to optimize sustainable earnings and remain within our established risk limits?
- How can we calculate our strategic capital requirements in order to communicate risks to net worth in aggregate?
- What questions should we consider when quantifying our liquidity needs?
- What are practical ways to help other decision-makers see the short- and long-term financial impact of our strategic plan?
- What are financial institutions being asked by examiners about their ALM process?
Our engaging instructors work with hundreds of financial institutions. Bring your questions. They will be ready to answer them.
In-Person Location: Courses are in sunny Phoenix, Arizona at our headquarters next to the South Mountain Preserve, the nation’s largest municipal park, with 51 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding. You may even want to make a long weekend of it and visit Sedona or the Grand Canyon. We also are near several local favorites like the Desert Botanical Garden and the Phoenix Zoo.
In-person attendance will be limited, and available on a first come, first serve basis.
Who Should Attend: CFOs and finance team members
What People Are Saying:
- “The quick math formulas are very valuable and something I can share with my ALCO” – Chief Financial Officer
- “It was helpful to run through different scenarios and understand the overall impacts” – Senior Financial Analyst
- “I now have a better understanding of reports and visualizations” – Director of Finance
Tuesday, June 15, 2021: 8:30am – 1:30pm PT
Wednesday, June 16, 2021: 8:30am – 1:30pm PT
Thursday, June 17, 2021: 8:30am – 1:30pm PT
Friday, June 18, 2021: 8:30am – 1:30pm PT
Fees, Refund, and Course Cancellation Policy
Fee*: $980 for one participant; $840 for each additional participant from the same credit union.
Refunds will not be given for cancellations received less than 30 days prior to the session; however, a substitute from your credit union is welcome.
In the rare case that a class must be cancelled, c. myers will make every effort to do so 30 days or more in advance of the class, in which case we are not responsible for travel costs or penalties incurred.
*Reduce your fee 15% by registering at least 30 days prior to the course.
c. myers corporation
Promenade at South Mountain
8222 S. 48th Street, Suite 275
Phoenix, AZ 85044